Sunday, January 4, 2009

With Arms Outstretched (to Joss)

While on vacation from the perils of adulthood (rent, taxes, and reality), I like to keep myself busy, hoping that the more I accomplish, the longer my vacation will feel. It's possible that this is faulty logic, but it's the only logic I know.

If I were to do real work (n: employment, as in some form of industry, esp. as a means of earning one's livelihood), then the week would no longer classify as a winter vacation (n: a period of suspension of work). Thus, the "work" that I do is enjoyable; something that provides mirth or amusement (also known as "fun").

As established in previous posts, I love Joss Whedon's tragically short-lived series Firefly. It's a fabulous 14 episodes set sometime after "Earth that was" has been abandoned for other solar systems, following a rag-tag crew of mercenary thieves and the spaceship they call home. The cast is probably Whedon's most compelling ensemble of motley characters, all of whom come together in their need for and devotion to the ship Serenity.

As established in previous posts, I love the indie rock band Rilo Kiley. My favorite Rilo Kiley song is the playful campfire-esq, With Arms Outstretched, where Jenny Lewis sings It's sixteen miles to the promised land / And I promise you I'm doing the best I can, and is joined in classic sing-a-long fashion by several male voices before concluding And if you want me, you better speak up, I wont wait / So you better move fast . . .

I can't help but think of Firefly when I listen to the song. It's a combination of the guitar strums, the yearning lyrics, and the harmonious comraderie of the voices, that feels so very in tune with Whedon's space western.

And thus, while on vacation, I made my first Youtube-a-licious music video: Firefly - With Arms Outstretched.


I'm still trying to master uploading to Youtube without losing major quality. I tried compressing a number of different ways with the mpg4/h.264 combination, but am not really pleased with the results. Any other suggestions on how to get a cleaner upload?

No comments: